tumblr youtube spotify email website pinterest googleplus
Oct 27, 2016
Shares
Share Tweet 0 Comments

Ten members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) have been filed with multiple charges following their involvement in the violent rally dispersal at the US Embassy last week.

The cops were charged with attempted murder, grave abuse of authority, serious physical injuries and unlawful arrest among others, the Inquirer reported.

The complaint included Senior Supt. Marcelino Pedrozo, the Manila Police District (MPD) deputy district director for operations, who was the ground commander of the dispersal.

National Capital Region Police Office director and Chief Supt. Oscar David Albayalde was also charged with obstruction of justice following his statements after the incident.

But PO3 Franklin Kho, who was responsible for driving the police mobile that plowed through and ran over some protesters, received the brunt of the charges.

“We can see from the footage the intent to kill. There is evident premeditation and we believe this was part of the dispersal operation,” Ephraim Cortez from the National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers said.

Various groups including some lawmakers and institutions have condemned the violent manner that Kho tried to disperse the protesters.

President Rodrigo Duterte and PNP Director General Ronald dela Rosa for their part were careful in issuing statements but said they will have the incident investigated thoroughly.

At least 50 people were hurt while 21 rallyists were arrested and turned over to the MPD during the incident.

 

COMMENTS

LATEST STORIES

LOAD MORE STORIES