tumblr youtube spotify email website pinterest googleplus
Jan 6, 2017
Shares
Share Tweet 0 Comments

The Department of Interior and Local and Government (DILG) has warned the public that the Black Nazarene feast scheduled this Monday might be subjected to attacks from local terror groups.

According to DILG Secretary Mike Sueno, they have received intelligence tips that the Abu Sayyaf and Maute group are targeting the annual event, InterAksyon reports.

Kasi mga terrorist groups ito eh, parang ito funded din from outside. Talagang there is this strong possibility na nandito na rin sila,” he said.

Sueno said the terror groups’ move was perhaps a retaliatory action after one of their leaders who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State was recently killed on Thursday.

He also warned that the Miss Universe pageant, which the country will host this month, may also be targeted due to its international reach and distinguished guests.

Still, Sueno said they have no plans to cancel both major events.

For their part, members of the Philippine National Police are already on full alert in response to the threat, the Inquirer reports.

At least 4,100 policemen will also be deployed to the religious event where over 18 million devotees are expected to participate in Quiapo, Manila.

In case you don’t recall, here’s how chaotic last year’s event was:

 

READ MORE ARTICLES ABOUT
COMMENTS

LATEST STORIES

LOAD MORE STORIES