tumblr youtube spotify email website pinterest googleplus
Jan 3, 2017
Shares
Share Tweet 0 Comments

The number of firecracker-related injuries during the holiday revelry leading up to New Year’s Eve celebrations was 40 percent lower compared to data in the same period last year.

So far, the Department of Health has recorded 521 cases including 297 in Metro Manila compared to the 874 cases last year, GMA News Online reports.

Around 284 cases involved teens and children below 16 years of age while the illegal firecracker Piccolo remained one of the top causes of injuries accounting for 177 cases.

Philippine National Police (PNP) Director General Bato dela Rosa himself nearly became part of the casualties.

During a demonstration to the media, the illegal firework Dela Rosa was holding suddenly caught smoke, which prompted the top cop to frantically hand it over to another official before running off.

Ewan ko kung may bad omen yun or what basta ang importante hindi tayo nasabugan. Bahala na kung kantsawan niyo ako na tumakbo ako, okay lang sa akin yun. Eh kayo nga tumakbo rin kayo eh,” the flushed PNP chief told the media in an interview after.

Hindi lang naman ako ang tumakbo, pati kayo tumakbo. Iniwan niyo nga ang camera niyo! Patas lang tayo,” he added.

On a more serious note, Dela Rosa had some advice to the public if they find themselves in the same situation as him.

Bibitawan mo talaga pag kita mong umusok na hindi mo pa sinindihan, umusok na bitawan mo talaga. At sana kung mayroon ka pang presence of mind itapon mo doon sa walang taong matatamaan kung yun ay sumabog,” he said.

 

COMMENTS

LATEST STORIES

LOAD MORE STORIES