IMAGE BY: DEXTER ERRO
Ever wondered why the jeans you wore last night feels and fits better than the newly washed pair you just pulled off the hanger? It’s because its harabas properties extend to its maintainance.Needless to say, jeans can be worn several times before they need washing—we’re talking six months or five wears.
We’ve already told you that getting your jeans dirty is actually one way of extending its life span. Before any violent reactions about hygiene arise, five wears means just about six hours in it, okay?
Here are a few more tips and tricks to make your maong:
1. When washing your jeans, do not overcrowd your washing machine. Three to four pairs are good. Otherwise you will not get the kind of clean that you want because you packed them too tightly. Fill it up with clothes of the same color.
2. Some amount of fading should be expected when you wash your jeans. If you want to preserve the color of your favorite pair, you can send them to the dry cleaners but that can get expensive. Turn your jeans inside out before washing, instead—this will minimize fading.
3. If you own a pair that has a lot of deconstruction to it—holes, rips, name it—use the delicate cycle of your washer.
4. Always check the care label. But more often than not, denims need washing in cold water, and without bleach all the time. The darkest of denims needs a first wash so it doesn’t stain your shirt or your shoes.
5. Use a liquid detergent. Powder may cling on to the fabric hence the splotches.
6. Hang your jeans to dry. This will avoid wrinkles. If you want them to shrink a bit, tumble dry.
A few things to consider when buying a new pair of jeans:
1. Look for shallow front pockets. Deep ones can add bulk at the wrong place.
2. Try on the jeans then sit, jump, walk, do whatever. If it keeps going down or if it shows off your butt crack, it means the pair is ill-fitting. Don't force it. Try another size, another style, or another brand.
3. Go for the fit the best suits you: skinny, regular, slim, what-have-you. Compromising fit is only as bad as a crew cut.
Make your maong last forever