GIVE GIFTS THAT WILL MAKE HER REMEMBER YOU FOREVER
Women think we're genetically made to be clueless when it comes it to gift-giving. Prove them wrong
1. Valentine’s falling on a weekday does not excuse you from the dreaded day. Surprise her for lunch at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that you can both pretend to call yours. Ladies will sure love Basil’s secret spices and Fat Michael’s ambience of home, art, and vintage. Don’t forget to bookahead!
2. Exchange body heat and share the thrill of increasing stamina. Try new positions of a different kind on Valentine’s Day by learning new yoga postures in a 40-degree Celsius room. Your best bet: Ginger Diaz’s Bikram Yoga.
Damage: P1,000 (90-minute trial for 10 consecutive days)
3. Intelligence is sexy, but while a lot of men have been bringing their ladies to museums and whatnot, some of us would still opt for the creative cheapskate. May it be a Binondo food trip with Carlos Celdran, a historical photo walk, or some after-work star gazing with white wine and gouda cheese you picked up from your kitchen, it’s still your intelligence that will jumpstart any good date.
4. Nobody ever forgets their first time. If you can’t take her to La Union for her first surf trip, a weekend enrolled at Paolo Soler’s wave pool training at the Philippine Surfing Academy is defi nitely a good start.
Damage: P1,500 per session
5. Show her your big…heart. If she loves children, take a day trip to the nearest orphanage and spend a day teaching Grade 1 math and playing basketball with the kids. It’s one way to show that you appreciate what she loves, and is also a tried-and-tested formula for a feel-good date.
Damage: P70 (in chocolate coin giveaways)
6. If you’re looking at a long drive out of the city in time for Valentine’s, the 18th Philippine International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta happening every day from February 21 to 24 is a good reason to gas up.
Damage: P250 per ticket
7. Women love a man in an apron— we didn’t say “and nothing else,” but you get the drift. Surprise her with sausages, eggs (no pun intended!), crisp bacon strips, buttermilk pancakes served with maple syrup, and a healthy glass of blended carrot, orange and apple juice on the side.
ILLSUTRATION: FRANTZ ARNO SALVADOR