Take a look at this shoe:
Now, take a look at this one:
The one above is the original Air Max 1, albeit in a new colorway that's called "Air Max Day."
The latter is the Nike Air Max Flyknit, one of Nike's most advanced running shoes today, featuring heel-to-toe Air Max cushioning and a body made of the super light, comfortable and snug Flyknit technology.
But would you believe that these shoes are 27 years apart? Yes, the granddaddy of Air Max, the original Air Max 1 was released way back on March 26, 1987. The shoes were a hit when it launched, and today, has become a true icon in the footwear industry.
Its popularity soared thanks to one design tweak that the legendary Jordan shoe designer, Tinker Hatfield suggested: make the air bag visible. Ten years before the first Air Max shoe, Nike had already been using a primitive version of Air cushioning technology. So why did the tech only became popular with the Air Max 1? Tinker Hatfield says, "“If we actually cut away some of the midsole and expose the airbag so you could see it, then people will understand it.”
From there on out, the visible Air cushioning unit has gone on to become, well, more visible and bigger in later iterations (as you've seen above)--and has become something worth celebrating especially if you love these kinds of shoes as much as we do.
In commemoration of the shoes' 27 years, the world today celebrates Air Max Day, for which Nike released a limited-edition colorway that we've already posted above.
How did everyone else celebrate the event though?
By posting their favorite Air Max shoes on Instagram, tagged with #airmaxday. For anyone who's ever balked at posting their kicks on Instagram for fear of being called a blowhard, well, now's the best day to post them sneakers! We scoured through the social media postings, and found our favorites, which we've posted below:
1) Look away if you're epileptic. Here's a messy-looking but actually carefully put together pastiche of retro Air Max shoes.
2) You don't normally wear an Air Max at the beach, but it's its birthday, so it's all cool.
3) Nothing says forever than a pair of his and hers neon Air Max kicks.
4) Can't go wrong with an all-white classic!
5) Did we notice the girl first? Of course! Chicks over kicks, any day!
6) Funky colorways like this optical illusion of a pair indicates that your shoe game is strong.
NEXT: A pure gold pair for the sneaker pimp who has everything