The biggest plot twist of 2015 took place yesterday as Miss Universe host Steve Harvey redacted his initial announcement that Ms. Colombia had won. She apparently didn't, and our queen, Pia Wurtzbach had been the true victor.
Jubilation erupted across our land.
But for a good four minutes before that, disappointment reigned. Miss Philippines had come close again—but no cigar. We had already been typing the following posts below before Harvey eventually overturned his own declaration...
1) "Runner up na naman. Huhuhu."
Miss Philippines came close in 2013 (Ariella Arida, third runner-up) and 2012 (Janine Tugonon, first runner-up). In basketball terms, that's like losing to a buzzer beater. It hurts. If Pia hadn't won, we'd be happy, but we'd be happier if she had won. So, thank you Steve Harvey. Pinakaba mo kami.
2) "Guys, tawagan niyo ang mga beki friends niyo. Paki-check ang pulso."
Don't worry, though. If they had died of a heart attack with Colombia's win, they would've been eventually revived by the announcement that followed.
Cosmo.ph has compiled the best beki reactions to the win.
3) "You're still the true winner in our hearts, @PiaWurtzbach."
It's true. We know all of us would've still been proud of our representative even if she went home crownless.
4) "PUTANGINA LUTO NADAYA TAYO MGA KAIBIGAN IMPOSIBLENG HINDI NANALO SI PIA PUTA"
IT IS SIMPLY IN OUR NATURE TO CALL "LUTO" EVERY TIME WE DON'T WIN BECAUSE FILIPINOS HAVE YET TO PERFECT THE SKILL OF LOSING GRACIOUSLY.
5) "Akalain mo, si Sofia Vergara ang Miss Universe natin ngayon!"
The resemblance is uncanny.
6) "So near yet so far."
Big moments like this coax out the inner Zen master in all of us.
7) "It's the journey, not the destination."
8) "Ganern? Napakaganda na ng sagot, ayaw niyo pa? Ano pa bang gusto niyo, judges?"
9) "PARA SA MGA LALAKING HURADO: HINDI NIYO BA NAPANOOD 'YUNG SWIMSUIT PORTION?"
When your ex sees you much better and wants you back LOLPosted by Austin De Jesus on Sunday, 20 December 2015
10) "Second place sa FIBA—pati ba naman dito?!"
Seeing Colombia win felt like reliving that big event of equal national interest that transpired last October 3, 2015:
As they say, all's well that ends well!
Sofia Vergara image from Nydailynews.com