Details about the new iPhone have been “leaked” just hours before the start of the annual Apple Worldwide Developers’ Conference (WWDC).
In a Reddit thread, so-called employees from Chinese manufacturer Foxconn, the company assigned in making the new iPhones, revealed some of the specs and features of one of the most-anticipated gadgets of 2017.
Here are the ‘confirmed’ new features:
It looks most like the middle version in this leaked image
The new iPhone is called the “iPhone X”
According to the leakers, the new handset’s name, iPhone X, is a reference to the smartphone's 10th anniversary this year.
There is a new dual rear camera with vertical alignment
You can also expect a change to the phone camera. The employees say that it will run vertically instead of horizontally, so you can get a wider (and better) shot while holding it upright in your hand.
There will be Facial Detection and a Retina Scanner
The iPhone 8 also allegedly comes with facial detection so users will be able to use to unlock their phones with their faces.
No version is planned with a rear fingerprint scanner
"We saw test units with fingerprint scanners mounted below the glass but performance and yield rates were not good. I've seen reports of a rear fingerprint scanner which I haven't seen," wrote Foxconninsider, one of the leakers.
Other highlights are:
1) The front bezel will be thinner on the Y-axis
2) Test units have Touch ID under the glass “but performance and yield rates were not good”
3) AuthenTech’s long standing Touch ID capacitive touch module has been replaced
4) And plural: “front facing camera modules”
5) RAM remains at 3GB like the iPhone 7 Plus
6) The aluminum unibody is replaced by “composite glass”
7) There’s wireless charging via a rear panel
8) It will again be “water resistant” (no word if the rating has increased)
9) There is no USB-C, Apple is sticking with Lightning
10) Production is indeed delayed
As of presstime, Apple and Foxconn have not commented on these alleged leaks. Also, it is still not confirmed whether the Reddit leakers are Foxconn workers or not, but the details that they published do match up with previous rumors. Subreddit’s moderators also confirmed that the leaks come with proper documentation and evidence.