Sorry, no results were found for

Valve Backs Out Of $1 Million 'Dota 2' Manila Tourney

Galaxy Battles II just lost its Major Pro Circuit status
by Andrei Medina | Jan 5, 2018
Most Popular

We’ve got bad news for Pinoy Dota 2 players and e-sports fans. Valve has just pulled the plug on its sponsorship for the Galaxy Battles II tournament, which will be held in Manila this month.

Galaxy Battles II features 16 pro teams, including home favorites TnC. The prize prize pool of this event: $1 million. Aside from this, it was supposed to be the first Major class Dota 2 tournament of 2018, which means it awards qualifying points to winning teams for the annual TI8 event later this year.

But now, the event has lost some luster after its status as a Major tourney got revoked. According to Valve, their decision was due to new Philippine government regulations that required foreign e-sports players to submit a handful of requirements, including results for a mandatory drug test.

MORE FROM FHM.COM.PH

“This is based on what we feel are unreasonable infringements on the privacy of the players, as a condition to enter the country. The tournament itself may still proceed, but without any involvement of Valve or the Dota Pro Circuit,” Valve said in a statement.

Valve also apologized and said they were looking for a workaround to the issue. “As a result, we’re talking to tournament organizers to try to find a way to run a Major with the invited and qualifying teams, including the Pro Circuit points that would have been available in Galaxy Battles 2018.”

Galaxy Battles II is a step up from its first iteration, which was held in Shenzhen, China last year. The eventual champions were Chinese team Newbee, that took home the $150,000 grand prize.

So far, Galaxy Battles II is scheduled to be held at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan this January 19-21 with ticket prices ranging from P2,000 to P7,000.

 

View other articles about:
Most Popular
Latest Stories
Most Popular