tumblr youtube spotify email website pinterest googleplus
Nov 18, 2016
Shares
Share Tweet 0 Comments

The late deposed president Ferdinand Marcos was laid to rest at the Libingan ng mga Bayani earlier today.

From Laoag, Ilocos Norte, his remains were flown and arrived before noon at the heroes cemetery, where burial rites were carried out.

The development caught almost everyone off guard, except maybe the Marcos kin, which even had prepared a same-day-edit video of the ceremony that later was uploaded on Ilocos Governor Imee Marcos' Facebook page.

Meanwhile, the people around President Rodrigo Duterte had conflicting statements on whether he had knowledge of the surprise interment.

For one, the event sneaked up on his communications department.

"So far, the (PCO Presidential Communications Office) has no knowledge of that instruction." Assistant Secretary Marie Banaag said. "We don't have any knowledge of the burial. The schedule and everything, we don't have. Perhaps, the PNP (Philippine National Police), yes. We don't really know. We honestly don't know."

PNP Chief Director General Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa, for his part, told the press, "Naisahan kayo 'no? Ako nga naisahan din ako eh. Kahapon ko lang nalaman. Pareho tayo."

Bato presumed that the president was aware of the ceremony "dahil nag-uusap [naman sila] sa pamilya [ng Marcos]."

On the other hand, presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella clarified in a subsequent press briefing that Duterte "was not sure of the exact date, as far as I know."

Contrary to Bato's claim, Abella also said the most powerful man in the land didn't have a "direct conversation" with the Marcoses, with Duterte's mind occupied with this year's APEC Summit in Peru.

In the end, though, the chief of state hopes that "both sides will exercise maximum tolerance and come to terms with the burial of former President Ferdinand Marcos," and that "everybody would find a space in their hearts to forgive and to set free those who have hurt or injured them."

And while Imee is ever so grateful, several public officials and non-profit organizations expressed their collective dismay over what just happened:

Vice President Leni Robredo

Senator Francis Pangilinan

Sen. Risa Hontiveros

Representative Teddy Baguilat, Jr.

Anakbayan

KABATAAN Partylist

DAKILA

The public seem divided on the issue, as seen in this confrontation of anti- and pro-Marcos in front of the LNMB:

The Supreme Court (SC), which dismissed petitions opposing the Marcos burial by a 9-5 vote, reiterated the decision in explaining why it was allowed.

SC spokesperson Theodore Te explained, "Even if there is a motion for reconsideration, the legal status is that there is no order that stops the act at the moment."

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

However, the petitioners, which includes Bayan Muna Representatives Satur Ocampo and Neri Colmenares, are looking to raise the ineligibility of the matter to the SC and hold liable those who permitted the "sneaky" move.

"Now we are considering filing a motion next week to cite respondents in contempt for proceeding with the burial even if the SC decision is not yet final and executory," said counsel Barry Gutierrez.

Here are some of the top social media reactions under the hashtag #MarcosNOTaHero:

 

COMMENTS

LATEST STORIES

LOAD MORE STORIES