One year’s passed since Michael Jackson’s shocking death. A lot has been said, seen and heard about his life, but what about his death?
The unadorned facts are : A 50-year-old Michael Jackson suffered from an apparent cardiac arrest in a rented LA home.
He was pronounced dead at 2:26 pm at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center on June 25, 2009.
Four days later, a lawsuit was filed against MJ’s personal doctor Conrad Murray.
Authorities found various sedatives, 37 tubes of skin whitening creams, and 11 (some empty) containers of Propofol—just three of can be used as general anesthesia.
After the second autopsy on August 28, 2009, the coroner ruled Jackson’s death as a homicide, and died of an “acute Propofol intoxication.”
And on February, 8, 2010, Murray pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter charges. He was released after posting a $75,000 bail. He is now awaiting trial.
Besides that and a solid bronze 14-karat gold-plated casket, here are other facts and figures on Jacko’s death:
- At the time of MJ’s death, he was 5’9” and 136 lbs.
- According to The Guardian, it was TMZ.com that first reported Michael Jackson’s death at 2:44pm, 18 minutes after he was pronounced dead, and Los Angeles Times confirmed it at 2:51pm.
- Minutes after reports of his death, Twitter and Wikipedia reported a crash from “user overload.” AOL Instant Messenger was down for 40 minutes.
- Before crashing, around 66,000 Twitter updates mentioned the words “Michael” and “Jackson,” and about 15% of Twitter posts (or 5,000 tweets per minute were about his death.
- In less than an hour of his death, 500 groups remembering MJ on Facebook were created.
- Within minutes of Yahoo’s published article “Michael Jackson rushed to the hospital” was clicked a record 800,000 times in 10 minutes—the highest-clicking story in Internet history.
- Web traffic was 11% to 20% higher than normal.
- According to msnbc.com, Amazon.com sold out all its Michael Jackson and Jackson 5 cds within minutes of his death.
- Cnet.com reports that as of July 1, 2009, just one week after his death, 2.3 million MJ tracks were downloaded!
Next: How much did MJ's funeral cost?
WORDS BY: AIMEE MORALES
IMAGE BY: WARREN ESPEJO
Plus how to achieve it
This is where people are made to live their lives like rats
Will Blatche help or hurt the chances of Gilas Pilipinas?
MMDA says this campaign will not be 'ningas cogon'