tumblr youtube spotify email website pinterest googleplus
Apr 22, 2016
Shares
Share Tweet 0 Comments

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has released the mugshot of the individual who allegedly hacked the Commission on Election's (Comelec) website last month.

The suspect was identified as 23-year-old Paul Biteng, a suspected member of hacker group Anonymous Philippines, GMA News reported.

Biteng, who recently graduated from an information technology course, was arrested at his home in Balic-Balic, Sampaloc, Manila on Thursday.

He reportedly admitted to taking down the Comelec website.

NBI Director Virgilio Mendez said the unapologetic suspect even requested to have their photo taken when Biteng was presented to him by cybercrime agents.

"He even took a selfie with me. He asked me, 'Sir, can I have my picture taken with you?'"

NBI Cybercrime Chief Ronald Aguto, for his part, said they were tracking two other suspects whom they believe were also involved in the hacking incident.

However, the hackers seemingly fired back at the government over their colleague's arrest after they released the alleged stolen data from the Comelec on the same day.

The data was leaked via a searchable database which reveals basic to sensitive personal information of registered voters just by typing in a specific person's name.

A technology law expert told ABS-CBN News that the leaked data may pose a threat if used for shady purposes by criminals and other individuals.

Meanwhile, Comelec Spokesman James Jimenez apologized for the blunder and dissuaded the public from using the searchable database.

"We advise the public not to use the hacker website as it can be used by the hackers to steal your information and thus expose you even further to the dangers of identity theft."

 

COMMENTS

LATEST STORIES

LOAD MORE STORIES