Mar Roxas, fielding a question from co-presidentiable Miriam Defensor-Santiago, quoted a line from Batman: "It's not important how you came into this world. What’s important is what you did with your life." The response drew a few oohs and aahs from us here at FHM HQ in appreciation of the pop culture reference from a candidate who hasn't exactly been charming the electorate.
That got us thinking: What if these people gunning to be our country's CEO routinely spoke in superhero parlance? We scanned our nerdy brain for a number of quotes and paired them with candidate most likely to say them.
Here they are:
1) "There is a right and wrong in the universe. And the distinction is not hard to make." - Superman, Superman (1978)
Who says it: Mayor Rody Duterte. Further translated: "Ang mga mali, binabaril. Ang mga tama, hindi. Alam ko kung sino ang dapat barilin. Simple."
2) Cats come when they feel like, not when they're told." - Catwoman, Catwoman (2004)
Who says it: Vice President Jejomar Binay. Can't force him to come up with straightforward answers even when he's commanded to.
3) "Violence doesn't discriminate. It comes as cold and bracing as a winter breeze and it leaves you with a chill you can't shake off." - Daredevil, Daredevil (2003)
Who says it: Duterte attempting poetry.
4) "Some men aren't looking for something logical, some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfred Pennyworth, The Dark Knight (2012)
Who says it: Any presidentiable attempting to sling mud at Duterte and his rather gung-ho ways.
5) "Intelligence is a privilege, and it needs to be used for the greater good of people." - Doctor Octopus, Spider-man 2 (2004)
Who says it: Miriam, in case you once again need to be reminded that a president must have three types of excellence: academic, professional, and moral. (Several cum laude awards certainly don't hurt either.)
6) "Every action no matter how violent or cruel, is for the greater good of my people." - General Zod, Man Of Steel (2013)
Who says it: Senator Grace Poe. Just kidding. Duterte, who else?
7) "With great power comes great responsibility."- Uncle Ben, Spider-man (2002)
Who says it: Poe. It's the clean, inoffensive kind of quote befitting her pure image.
8) "No matter how bad things get, something good is out there, just over the horizon." - Green Lantern, Green Lantern (2011)
Who says it: Poe. Heartbreakingly optimistic...if a little bit naive.
9) "It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan." - Bane, The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Who says it: Binay.
Hypothetical use: "Kung ano ano na ho ang tinawag nila sa akin. Pero kung titignan ninyo ang Makati, kitang-kita na naipatupad ko ang mga plano namin—ano ho? Sabi nga ni Bane sa The Dark Knight Returns, it doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan."
10) "Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn't mean they're lost forever." - Charles Xavier, X-Men: First Class (2011)
Who says it: Binay. "Kung meron ho man akong pagkakamali nung nakaraan—at hindi ko ho sinasabi na meron—eh hindi ho ba, puwede pa rin naman magbago? Forgive and forget, ika nga nila."
11) "I shouldn't be alive, unless it was for a reason. I know what I have to do, and I know what is right." - Iron Man, Iron Man (2008)
Who says it: Mar. He doesn't have the most PR-friendly reputation (at this point though, who has?) but in the last round of debates, he seemed to be the most sensible, and had the surest sense of knowing what he has to do and knowing what is right.
12) "There are no heroes or villains. There's just what I want and how I'll get it." - Magneto, X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
Who says it: Duterte. Digong does have shades of Magneto in him, doesn't he?
13) "You wear a flag on your chest and think you fight for your nation. I have seen the future, Captain! There are no flags!" - Red Skull, Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Who says it: Chinese diplomats meeting Duterte at one of the disputed islands just as he gets off his jet ski with a Philippine flag in hand.
14) "The answers you seek shall be yours, once I claim what is mine." - Thor, Thor (2011)
Who says it: Binay. ("You want answers? Elect me into office first, then I'll tell you—I swear!")
15) "This city is afraid of me, since I have seen its true face." - Rorschach, Watchmen (2009)
Who says it: Mar looking for justification as to why he can't seem to get the nation to embrace him.
16) "I don't like bullies, I don't care where they're from." - Captain America, Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Who says it: Poe to Duterte
17) "If you cage the beast, the beast will get angry." - Wolverine, X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
Who says it: Miriam. If she hears one more word about her ailment, she'll have to bare her claws.