Here at FHM HQ, we get off on spy movies. All the espionage action, two-faced femme fatales, and international sleuthing have a way of making us fantasize about a life less ordinary. So when the retro-tastic trailer for The Man from U.N.C.L.E. made its way around the Internet, we were hooked by its dry humor, intense chase scenes, and all-around vintage vibe.
You can see all the undercover agent awesomeness right here:
In true spy form, our interest was piqued and we couldn’t help but do a bit of snooping about the movie ourselves.
Here are 15 bits of trivia you need to know about The Man from U.N.C.L.E.:
1) THAT SOULFUL SONG PLAYING IN THE TRAILER IS NINA SIMONE’S “FEELING GOOD”. Originally recorded by the artist for her 1965 album I Put a Spell on You, it’s now got numerous covers from the likes of The Eels, Muse, and Michael Buble. It’s a classic, perfectly capturing the simultaneously moody and vibrant era of the ’60s.
Video via Hakan DİSCO
2) GUY RITCHIE, THE DUDE BEHIND TESTOSTERONE-FUELED FLICKS LIKE LOCK, STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS AND SNATCH IS AT THE HELM. Younger bros might know him as the man behind the Sherlock Holmes franchise (or Madonna’s ex-husband).
3) THIS IS THE DIRECTOR’S 8TH FEATURE FILM. His other notable releases: the flop that was island comedy Swept Away (blame his then-wife Madonna), the get-rich-quick action/comedy RocknRolla, and the Jason Statham starrer that was Revolver.
4) SUPERMAN IS ONE OF THE LEADS! Before he kicks Batman’s burly ass in Dawn of Justice, actor Henry Cavill stars Napoleon Solo, one-half of the super duo trying to stop evildoers from blowing up the planet with nuclear weaponry. Let’s just hope he doesn’t have his own kind of kryptonite.
5) THE OTHER HALF OF THIS SUPER-SPY EXTRAVAGANZA HELPED INVENT FACEBOOK.
Well, in the movie adaptation at least. Armie Hammer, who plays Illya Kuryakin, shot to fame after playing the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network.
6) YOU CAN’T HAVE A SPY MOVIE WITHOUT A SMOKIN’ HOT CHICK! And U.N.C.L.E. luckily has gotten Swedish seductress Alicia Vikander, who plays the sweet-faced Gaby Teller. Relatively a fresh face on the scene, she garnered praise for playing an A.I. you’d like to do nasty things to in Alex Garland’s sci-fi film, Ex Machina. Sexy robots: we’d like to stick our hard drive in that port!
7) THERE ISN’T JUST ONE, BUT TWO SMOKIN’ HOT CHICKS WHO’LL MAKE YOU WANT TO POLISH YOUR HANDGUNS! Playing the bad biatch this operation needs to take down is Aussie stunner Elizabeth Debicki, who some will remember in director Baz Luhrmann’s version of The Great Gatsby. As Victoria Vinciguerra, she makes being bad look oh so good!
8) HUGH GRANT IS IN IT AS WELL. Don’t get confused, because you didn’t accidentally walk into a throwback screening of Notting Hill. The former Brit bad boy plays Alex Waverly, the head of the faction the two spies work for.
9) U.N.C.L.E. ACTUALLY STANDS FOR UNITED NETWORK COMMAND FOR LAW AND ENFORCEMENT. And no, it isn’t an actual international intelligence agency.
10) BUT IT IS A REVIVAL OF A ’60S BRITISH TELEVISION SHOW OF THE SAME NAME. It originally starred actor Robert Vaughn as American Napoleon Solo and David McCallum as Russian Illya Kuryakin.
Video via jimmyredproductions