Hosted by Terrence J and two-time NBA champion Kenny Smith, The Dunk King pitted 32 of the best dunkers in the world for the ultimate bragging rights, with a cool $100,000 to boot. Participants had to impress judges former NBA players Shaquille O'Neal, Charles Barkley (Smith's co-hosts on Inside The NBA), and Brent Barry.
Its first season recently wrapped up, with 5'5"—yes, you read that right—dunk artist Porter Maberry besting Final Four rivals Kenny Dobbs, Jordan Kilganon and Guy Dupuy for the title of "Dunk King."
While eagerly waiting for the next installment of our new popcorn partner, we look back at some of the otherworldly jams that kept our eyes glued to The Dunk King, in no particular order.
1) Is this what you meant by combining two sporting events?
3) With obvious peril, a warning wasn't really necessarily.
4) It's not easy to make an impression on Sir Charles. Getting six more people to persuade him just did the trick.
5) Here's another crazy motorcycle dunk idea: jumping from a mobile one.
6) Unlike Shaq, we've actually seen this in one of Kilganon's YouTube videos. We still can't believe it.
7) Just when you thought Vinsanity's honey dip was already impressive...
8) He may not have jumped over the person at the top of the ladder, but we give him his due because of the dunk's intricacy.
9) His friend must've had a hellish time playing luksong baka with him.
10) Using host Kenny Smith as a prop might not net the highest score, but hurdling 7'1" Shaq will definitely and literally get you to the top—especially when you're a mere 5'5".