Warm bath, hot milk, humming to yourself, and counting sheep. You've tried them all but you're still wide awake in the middle of the night. You can't help but wonder what the hell can help you get to dream land.
GIF via Giphy.com
Now, an Arizona-based doctor claims there's a trick to make insomniacs doze off in just 60 seconds. The good news is it doesn't involve drugs, legal or otherwise.
Called the 4-7-8 breathing technique, the method is described as a "natural tranquilizer for the nervous system" that helps reduce tension in the body.
"Breathing strongly influences physiology and thought processes, including moods," says Dr. Andrew Weil, a pioneer in integrative medicine who devised the method. "By simply focusing your attention on your breathing and without doing anything to change it, you can move in the direction of relaxation."
It's so easy to do. In fact, it can be broken down into five simple steps:
1) Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
2) Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
3) Hold your breath for a count of seven.
4) Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
5) Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Now this trick doesn't work instantly—it takes practice and a lot of mental counting.
To fully explain how it works, watch the video below—quick, before you fall asleep!