Before we declare the comeback of wide-leg pants, we have to face the fact that they’ve never left us. Though they’ve been relegated to back-of-the-closet status, they’re still there, ready to embrace us back in to their roomy familiarity. Thankfully though, since 2015, they’ve been inching their way back into the fashion fore and have now become arguably the menswear trend of the moment.
Rex Atienza, one of the country’s foremost menswear stylist and star of his own E! reality show The StyleList Inc., provides a more civilized insight. He says, “It's definitely a more relaxed look, and I find it to be a more mature silhouette compared to the skinny jean, which suited slimmer, more boyish physiques.” He shares his top three tips on how to wear them:
1) For someone getting into the trend for the first time, basic tops such as plain button downs or T-shirts and low-cut sneakers serve as a safe way to style the wide-leg pant look. Baggy, loose-fit sweaters also complement the look by creating balance.
2) To sharpen the look, and to avoid looking sloppy, a tailored jacket can be used to top off the outfit. in plain-speak, wear a structured blazer.
3) A bolder shoe choice, such as high tops or chunky soles make a great statement piece to work with.
A few more ideas to consider when trying on the trend:
1) Proportions are everything and should be considered in totality. Wear a tight tee and you might be mistaken for the sixth member of the Spice Girls.
2) Fit is key, too. A little break can give you the relaxed, louche look, but too much will have you looking like you stepped out in the “before” pants of weight-loss pill ad.
3) Pleats are a trendy add-on to an already-trendy pair. Go for them. Knock yourself out.
4) So are pockets, but we advise against them for now. The same goes for checks.
5) Keep to these general ideas when sealing your fate: loose track pants, updated elephant denims or relaxed trousers. Wear as you would any other pair.