The 2017-18 PBA season kicked off last Sunday, and unsuprisingly, current Philippine Cup titleholders San Miguel Beermen turned back the Phoenix Fuel Masters, 104-96. If anything, SMB coach Leo Austria fielding in 13 players against returning tactician Louie Alas was a refreshing sight.
Aside from parading their charming muses, the 12 teams showcased retooled lineups and the latest in sports fashion—shout out to the hoodied NLEX Road Warriors—on opening night. Members of the playing squads even got the chance to show off their fresh basketball kicks, something we here at FHM.com.ph are always excited for.
So, what do you think? Was Phoenix able to outclass the Beermen in the style department?
13) Alex Cabagnot – Nike KD 10 Dark Grey
12) JC Intal/LA Revilla – Nike PG1 ‘Baseline’
Grey isn’t just the way to mark the beginnings of a new basketball calendar, it's also a rad sartorial choice for ballers. BTW, Cabagnot is the only SMB starter who didn’t make the Sneaker Mythical 5.
11) Jason Perkins – Nike LeBron 14 ‘Red Brick Road’
10) Doug Kramer – Nike LeBron Soldier 11 ‘Bred’
Unlike the NBA superstar who wore his ‘Equality’ pair to make a glaring statement, the Phoenix bigs kept things basic with their black and red LeBrons.
9) Gelo Alolino – Nike Hyperdunk 2016 Flyknit ‘USA’
Alolino must’ve wished for some Olympic-type performance from the Fuel Masters to upset the defending champions.
8) Matthew Wright/Matt Ganuelas-Rosser – Nike Kobe A.D. NXT ‘University Red’
7) Jeff Chan – Nike Kobe 11 ‘Brave Blue’
6) Karl Dehesa – Nike Kobe 9 EM
Three Kobe signature kicks land in the middle of the list, but the "Bruce Lee" one takes the lead because of sheer originality.
5) Chris Ross – Air Jordan 13 ‘Singles Day’
4) Marcio Lassiter – Air Jordan 11 ‘Win Like ’96’
When playing for a franchise that has built a winning culture, Jordans—plus points for being in team colors—are only fitting.
3) Billy Mamaril – Nike LeBron 13 ‘Friday the 13th’
He could’ve been No. 1 if the season started in November.
2) June Mar Fajardo – Air Jordan 31 Low ‘Bulls’
The reigning MVP backed up his clean pair with his usual “Kraken” line: 23 points, 16 rebounds, four assists, and four blocks.
1) Arwind Santos - Nike PG1 ‘Neon Volt’
“Spiderman” didn’t look like one of the elder statesmen (only Mamaril is older at 37) in his glowing PGs and matching socks.
Photography Jerome Ascano