Congratulations—you've made it to the weekend!
All those deadlines, paperwork, hours spent toiling in the office...you must be really tired, and craving for good food. Obviously, we're not talking about boring fast food grub or the tipid meals you've been living on since Monday. Your hard work deserves something way more special.
Sure, you can go to a nice restaurant, but why not whip up your gastronomic reward yourself? It might require a bit more effort, but think of this as another validation of you being a true man, because a true man knows his way inside the kitchen. That and girls love guys who cook. Plus, the rewarding feeling of you tasting your own masterpiece is all worth it.
Don't worry—we'll spare you the hassle of sifting through your mom's Del Monte Kitchenomics pamphlets for the right recipe. In this weekly series called FHM's Weekend Cooking Challenge, we'll pick a dish you can do for your girl or folks that's both delicious and doable, but still special enough that you'll feel a profound sense of pride after you've successfully accomplished it.
And for our first-ever entry, we have something that's meaty and herby with a slight hint of sweetness and sourness: baked chicken thighs with lemon and garlic. This flavorful comfort food requires less than an hour of preparation, won’t result in a massive mess in the kitchen, and will really impress even the most discerning of taste buds when done right.
Check it out below and start cookin'!
What you'll need:
- 1 kilo boneless chicken thighs
- Half-cup olive oil
- Half-cup chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, sliced thinly
- Chopped parsley (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit (180-degrees Celsius).
2. Mix together in a bowl the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper.
3. Rub the chicken thighs with the herb mixture.
4. Place a layer of lemon slices on the baking pan you’ll be using and arrange the chicken thighs on top of them. Place the remaining lemon slices on top of the chicken.
5. Bake the dish for 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked.
6. Transfer to a serving dish, and garnish with parsley.
The end product should look something like this:
Enjoy it with:
- Steamy white rice
- White wine to complement the subtle flavors of the dish
- Caramelized roasted carrots, potatoes, beets, onions, and garlic as a side dish
- Avoid the pre-crushed pepper and opt for freshly-ground peppercorn for better flavor.
- Make sure your chicken is cooked thoroughly by piercing it on a thick area. If the juices run clear, there’s a big chance that your dish is done. If it’s still reddish, keep it in the oven for a few more minutes.
For more man-approved recipes, visit Yummy.ph