Sorry, no results were found for

Deadly Flesh-Eating Virus Claims Pinoy Tourist's Legs

We're all praying for a speedy recovery
by John Paulo Aguilera | Apr 7, 2017
Most Popular

What was initially thought to be a spider bite was diagnosed as a flesh-eating infection that resulted in the amputation of a Filipino tourist's legs.

A certain Terry Pareja got hospitalized in March while he was visiting his kin in Australia. According to his daughter Jeffmarey's GoFundMe post, an insect bit him, which was followed by his foot swelling.

Continue reading below ↓

"It's eating him alive, literally," Jeffmarey told the BBC of the diagnosis, which was actually necrotizing fasciitis. "He needs to stay in hospital for about 12 to 18 months."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines the condition as "a serious bacterial skin infection that spreads quickly and kills the body's soft tissue."

Among the several types of necrotizing fasciitis-causing bacteria, Group A streptoccocus is said to be the most common. There are cases where Strep A creates toxins that destroy the infected tissue, which may lead to "loss of limbs or death."


Meanwhile, doctors have dismissed arachnid stings as the origin of the flesh-eating virus. 

"There has never been a definite case where someone has got bitten by a spider, caught the spider, identified it and developed necrotising fasciitis," clinical toxicologist Dr. Geoff Isbister explained.

Again, to those who want to Terry, you can check out his GoFundMe campaign here.

Continue reading below ↓


View other articles about:
Most Popular
Latest Stories
Most Popular