Amid the Duterte administration's unrelenting war on drugs, the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) released a checklist of possible indications that there's a shabu laboratory right under your noses.
In a post on the Philippine Information Agency, the anti-drug law enforcement agency shared 17 tell-tale signs that their search teams have been using to locate hidden drug labs in various neighborhoods.
1) Presence of large water tanks
2) Thick electrical wires for houses or facilities which should have normal-sized wires
3) Laboratory materials surrounding the properties like empty chemical bottles, drums and other types of chemical containers
4) Specially-constructed chimney or ventilation fan which run for extended hours to get rid of strong odors
5) Strong chemical odors (solvent-like) coming from the facility
6) Persons in the premises seldom come out but they do come out to smoke, to avoid igniting highly explosive chemicals inside
7) Excessive or irregular water waste coming out of the premises
8) Presence of waste chemicals
9) Discarded materials used to store chemicals
10) Residents who burn their trash instead of discarding them
11) Use of security cameras
12) Odd locks and bars on windows
13) Heavy security like the presence of watch dogs, high fences and barb wires
14) Every opening of the facility is covered or tinted
15) Persons going about their business at odd hours
16) No traffic during daytime, but traffic at wee hours; and
17) Frequent visitors with expensive cars
According to PDEA Director General Isidro Lapeña, they have high hopes this list will raise public awareness on the war on drugs.
He also believes this will result in more civilian tips against illegal drug operations in the country.
“The public should watch out for these 17 tell-tale signs showing the existence of a shabu laboratory in their neighborhood. You might be living near or next to one but unaware of it,” he said.
So far, at least eight shabu laboratories have been found by authorities since the war on drugs began in July.
This includes the mega shabu lab discovered in Arayat, Pampanga last month which is believed to be the largest facility producing illegal drugs in the country.
Individuals who have concerns regarding the list and would like to report suspicious activities in their respective neighborhoods can contact the following PDEA numbers:
Mobile—09998887332 / 09279150616 / 09255737332 / 09393960627
Landline—(02) 920-0735 / (02) 920-0736