Sorry, no results were found for

Duterte's Drug Campaign Gets Top Billing In The New York Times

The war on drugs is getting global attention
by Andrei Medina | Aug 4, 2016
Most Popular

President Rodrigo Duterte won't have to worry about a thing when it comes to media mileage after a US-based newspaper featured him and his war against illegal drugs on its front page.

But we're not entirely sure if it's a good thing as the New York Times' August 2, 2016 issue revolved around the violence and killings under the first Mindanaoan president's administration.

The story, "Body Count Rises as Philippine President Wages War on Drugs," displayed a cover photo which went viral locally after first appearing in the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

The photo showed Jennelyn Olaires cradling the lifeless body of her husband, 29-year-old pedicab driver Michael Siaron after he was killed on the streets by still-unidentified gunmen last July.

Human Rights Watch deputy director for Asia Phelim Kine was quoted in the story as saying that Siaron’s case was just one of many incidents where small-time drug suspects were disposed of.

"These are not the wealthy and powerful drug lords who actually have meaningful control over supply of drugs on the streets in the Philippines," he said.

MORE FROM FHM.COM.PH

But political analyst Ramon Casiple said it would be best to first refrain from prejudging the outcome of Duterte's campaign against illegal drugs during his first 100 days.

According to GMA News, over 400 drug suspects have been killed while close to 600,000 others have surrendered since Duterte assumed office last month.

Most Popular
Latest Stories
Most Popular