Over the weekend, Director Erik Matti took to social media to reveal that three members of the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) executive commission resigned on the same day they announced the first four of the event’s eight featured films. The problem? It seems old habits die hard.
Following Matti’s reveal, celebrated screenwriter Ricky Lee broke his silence and explained the reason why he decided to push through with the drastic move that left a lot of netizens in shock. For the award-winning artist, making the decision was simple and so was his answer.
“Sa mga nagtataka at nagtatanong kung bakit ako nag-resign bilang miyembro ng Execom ng MMFF, simple lang naman ang sagot. Noong una pa man nang pumayag akong sumali, nag-decide na ako na mag-i-stay lang ako kung ipagpapatuloy nito ang nasimulan nang reforms ng 2016. Sa nagiging takbo ng mga pangyayari ngayon ay mukhang malabo na iyong mangyari. Kaya wala na ring dahilan para mag-stay pa ako.”
Lee was referring to the well-received reforms of last year’s MMFF festival, which balanced the amount of commercial and indie films shown during the annual event, which in recent years was dominated only by commerical outings.
Meanwhile, decorated academic Rolando Tolentino took to Twitter, where he expressed his exasperation over the results of the script selection, which he said speaks for itself.
His Facebook post also sums his emotions up:
MMFF Execom spokesman Noel Ferrer, for his, part was saddened by his colleagues’ resignations, but said this wasn’t the answer to their grievances.
Last Friday, the MMFF Execom announced the following films as part of their lineup:
The final four entries, which will make up the MMFF’s 'Magic 8', will be announced after a film submission that runs until October 30.