Sorry, no results were found for

Supreme Court Stops Marcos Burial For 20 Days

It's not going to be that easy
by Andrei Medina | Aug 23, 2016
Most Popular

The Supreme Court (SC) has issued an order halting all ongoing preparations for the burial of former president Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (LNMB) as permitted by the Duterte administration.

SC Spokesman Theodore Te said that the high court issued a status quo ante order during its en banc session on Tuesday preventing the interment for 20 days hereon, GMA News reported.

Meanwhile, the Inquirer noted that the oral arguments on the matter have been rescheduled to August 31.

The SC’s move was seen as a response to the petitions by various groups asking for President Rodrigo Duterte to reconsider his decision to allow the burial.

According to Duterte, there are no laws preventing the burial of Marcos at the LNMB. He also said the former president meets the qualifications since he was a soldier who received a Medal of Valor.

MORE FROM FHM.COM.PH

However, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines contested this and laid out four reasons questioning the legitimacy of Marcos and his medals.

The country has so far been divided on the issue with one side saying the burial is needed to unify the country while another says that the Marcos family first needs to admit to their crimes, especially the ones committed during Martial Law.

 

Most Popular
Latest Stories
Most Popular